History of The Alexander Adams’ Property

Alexander Adams Property

The Historical Sites of Knowlton Township
Bicentennial Celebration 1976

The Adams family is probably one of the oldest in Knowlton.

This property has many charming historic features.

The stone house, 1730, may be the oldest home in Warren County. We’ve been told there may be one in Oxford that is older.

The beautiful tree, (that has photos and prints throughout our area), came down during a storm blast about 15 years ago. We were heart broken. It left a space we felt needed to have warmth renewed so a water fall was installed to utilize the natural water source coming from the underground spring. A lovely sound it offered. This waterfall area is currently under reconstruction.

The history attached will tell you many charming features and facts. What was used during Indian attacks. How they could stay in for weeks at a time, get wood, keep food fresh and feed the animals much of this utilizing the natural spring water running under the home. Installing nooks and crannies that were life sustaining.

The Carriage house was initially for Carriages. Dates of 1817, and 1814 are still stamped in the original beams utilized in the renovations. These beams were installed back in the day, by horse a many to lift these huge beams in place. Many renovations have been done and many original features have been kept.

The main house confuses many as the Main door is in the back or the house. The driveway would run along the back vs we now see as the front of the home. There are many features from concrete walls in the home but this has had rooms added on allowing for the large country home it now is.

The following details of the history are a repeat of the documents we have downloaded to offer ease of reading. Please enjoy the history.

The grandfather, of the subject of this history was Alexander Adams, who served his time as a bound boy for a hotelkeeper in Hunterdon County. About 1730 he came to what is now Knowlton Township and settled there. He was married twice. His first wife was Ann Bellis of Knowlton. His second, Sarah. By his industry and prudence he was able to leave each of his seventeen children a farm. His son Alexander Adams was born in Knowlton, and married Phoebe Lundy, daughter of George Lundy of Hardwick. Of this union were born Esther, deceased of Stroudsburg, George, deceased of New Orleans, and D.C (Daniel) born in 1807 and died in 1890. He is buried in the Adams’ cemetery Fairview in Knowlton.

D.C married Catherine Snyder in 1833 and resided two miles from delaware. Three of his sons were” George Crockett Adams, William S. Adams, and John Adams, who married Miss Bair of Philadelphia. George Adams left two children. Kathryn Mary and Amy Elizabeth of Stroudsburg. Stewart Flager married 10/12/22. Their daughter Elizabeth Alice born 6/10/27 and married Walter Joseph Kauzmann 4/1/51. Mary Steffan, a previous owner of the Adams’ property. has visited Mrs. Kauzmann, in Princeton, New Jersey. Her mother, Kathryn was buried in the Adams’ cemetery. This is the most recent history we have of an Adams descendent.

It is interesting to note that there has only been five owners of the Adams’ property. Namely; Alexander Adams, Jeremiah McCain, who died in 1908, at age ninety-two, A.J James mcCain then lived on the Adams’ property. Gustave and Mary Steffan, Dr. and Mrs. L.D Williams and at present Henry Kornhauser (recorded 1976). During the time the property was owned by the McCains it was rented to a number of families.

There are some interesting facts about the homestead that should be noted. On the wall, facing the present farmhouse, there is an opening (now covered with wire) that was a bow and arrow slot used against Indian attacks. Also, on that wall is an opening with a trough running through the wall and underneath this was a trough for feeding and watering animals, without having to go outside. The skimmed milk and water was put into that opening which went into the feeding trough. Also there were wooden shutters on the inside of the windows which were closed in case of an Indian attack. The Indians were the Lenapes who would come down the Delaware River.


Currently, Edie and her husband Alan Sauck have maintained the property for the past fifteen years and have a bond with the property. Due to the properties historical attributes, Edie and Alan opened it up to the public as a small County Inn. The Alexander Adams Homestead established in 2002. Now the couple own and live on the property and uses the additional houses as rentals for local families.